Spicy Chipotle Black Bean Burgers (Vegan, Oil-free, & Gluten free)
Updated: Aug 18, 2020
I love veggie burgers, but they can get expensive and they're not always the healthiest. These burgers are so easy to make and just the right level of spice!
15 ounce can of black beans, drained
1 small red onion, chopped
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1 & 1/2 cups cooked rice, cold
1/2 cup quick oats (Use gluten free if desired)
1 cup fire roasted corn
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon ground flax
Handful of fresh cilantro
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line or grease a baking sheet.
2. Add all ingredients to a food processor except for 1/2 cup of rice and the fire roasted corn. Process the mixture until uniform, scrapping down the sides of the food processor as needed. If the mixture is dry you can add 1-2 tablespoons of water.
3. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the remaining rice and corn. Mix well. If you're using leftover rice you may want to use the food processor to break it up before adding to the burger mixture.
4. Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup begin forming the burgers and placing them on a greased or parchment lined baking pan. If the mixture is sticking to your hands, wet them with a bit of cold water. Feel free to make the burgers smaller, but you may need to adjust the cooking time. If you're using 1/2 cup measurements you should get 7-8 burgers.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping half way.
6. Serve with toppings of your choice just as lettuce, tomato, avocado and extra cilantro.